Sunday, November 08, 2009

Good Food & Good Company

My mom came to visit this weekend. On Friday, she joined me in my weekly get-together with NM. We had dinner at a Thai restaurant in West Village that I love, and then I took my mom to my local pub for a drink and karaoke. It was a bit crazier than usual -- one EXTREMELY drunk guy started talking to us and we kept giving him the brush-off and later found out he was the OWNER. The guy was so wasted, we heard him fall down the stairs on his way down to the bathrooms. (he was okay) Another guy came over to chat us up and flirted shamelessly with my mom. She was polite but told him his advances weren't wanted and that he was too young for her. He didn't seem to get it. I told him to get lost as well, but we eventually just moved to another area of the bar. When I went to settle our tab before we left, the regular bartender gave me a discount, saying it was because we had dealt with so much bullsh*t!

On Saturday we had a lovely brunch and then ran some errands, going by the farmers' market at Union Square for some fresh edibles and hot apple cider. We decided to treat ourselves to dinner at a lovely French restaurant that uses local organic seasonal foods. It was an incredible meal, and of course, incredible company! The food was unbelievably delicious, but our favorite dish was the squash risotto served with mushrooms and a roasted jack-b-little pumpkin that was edible.

After filling our bellies, we decided to walk home. It was a nice brisk evening and about a 30 minute walk. Back at my apt, we watched a movie and used my paraffin wax on our hands. A nice girly evening!

Today was church and then lunch at one of my favorite hole-in-the-wall restaurants and a walk by the Hudson River. It was a nice weekend, made better by the loving visit.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

:)

jman said...

OK I can understand your cloaking people in anonymity to protect their privacy, but why do you have to do that to the restaurants which always sound so good? Glad you had a good weekend with your mom. And for a change the weather even cooperated!

Emily said...

sorry, jman. Here they are:
Thai: Isle
Brunch: Jane
French: Mas Farmhouse
Hole-in-Wall Mexican: Mexicana Mama

Vetmommy said...

I remember that Apple Cider! So good.

Anonymous said...

Sorry I am so late in commenting but I have been off line for days! Maddening, yes.

It was a lovely weekend and I thoroughly enjoyed being with you. It was fun!

Love you, M