Monday, November 09, 2009

Delusions of Grandeur

Un-effing-believable. I just got a call from Cuban Musician.

He called from a friend's phone so I didn't recognize the number -- because he was afraid I wouldn't pick up if I saw it was him.

He apologized over and over for hurting me, for embarrassing me, for lying to me, for being such an a$$hole....

And then he asked if he could come over and see me in person, so he could "apologize in person." Of course, I said NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT and told him I don't want to see him.

He didn't take "NO" for an answer the first 50 times I said it, but I can be repetitive. As I told him, "NO" is the same in English and Spanish, so there's no room for misinterpretation. I don't want to see him, and I'm certainly never going to let him in my place again. He said he was going to take a taxi over to my building, but he remembered I had moved and asked what my new apartment is. I wouldn't tell him, and I reminded him that I have doormen who wouldn't let him in. In fact, I said, I could call them and let them know I'm not expecting any visitors and if anyone came by asking to see me, they should call the cops. He backed off a little then, asking "why would you call the cops?"

I did get to yell at him and tell him how horrible the whole experience was for me. And when he said he misses me and feels like he ruined the best thing ever in his life, I asked why he didn't call before now. (It's been two months!) He said he was embarrassed at how badly he had acted.

And he clarified, he's not married, he's just been living with her for three years. And when he was spewing this garbage about wanting me back in his life, I asked "Do you still live with her?"

Well, yes, but...

Unbelievable. Does he think that this would work on me? That he could just call and apologize and I would fall back into his arms?

I actually laughed out loud at some of his preposterous explanations. That felt good, at least. But I'm still so angry!

5 comments:

Irishparisienne said...

Oh.My.God! What a deluded a**hole Emily! Well done for being strong!

jman said...

At least he gave you some closure, so you have that silver lining. Given his behavior with you and his live in gf, one wonders how many others there are at the moment as well. Too bad you don't have a tape of the call to send to his gf so she can know what a self absorbed db this guy really is (if she needed any further convincing).

Unknown said...

Why is she still living with the db, I wonder? In the words of the Dixie Chicks, let him fly!

Vetmommy said...

Obviously this must be a pattern for him, since he is so surprised it didn't work. Good for you for pointing out all his inconsistencies in the heat of the moment!

Dating Down Under said...

Yes, at least he should know who he is and how his behaviour hurts. I hope he changes his pattern to keep gf.