Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Musings & Observations

Many species of animals have been observed behaving in herd or pack mentality. It is characterized by individuals in a group acting together without planned direction. It can become dangerous or violent when a pack attacks, such as a pack of dogs attacking a newcomer to the group. Sometimes, humans act like this, too.
* * * * * * * * *
The squirrels in Union Square are so tame. If you are calm and still, and if there's not too much pedestrian traffic, they will walk right up to you, within 12 inches, and look at you, silently pleading for a bite of whatever you're eating. The pigeons will come even closer, but they're not as cute.
* * * * * * * * *
I've been counting (don't ask me why) how many celebrities and rodents I've seen since moving to the city. Celebrities: 5. Rodents: 19. (This doesn't include squirrels. I'm just counting rats and mice, most often seen in the subway, down on the track.)
* * * * * * * * *
New York City has a lot to offer, including some really horrible smells.
* * * * * * * * *
Far too many cabbies in the City don't know where they're going, but few will admit to their mistake and voluntarily cut the fare. Almost makes up for the fact that you arrive 20 minutes late.

3 comments:

Vetmommy said...

I have seen celebs every time I've visited NYC. Who are the ones you spotted? Andrew Shue?

I liked this post!

Emily said...

I've seen Meredith Vieira, Ben Affleck, Danny Divito, America Ferrara, and Mario Cantone.

Jenn, thanks for always appreciating my ramblings. :-)

paula said...

Such a cool post - hey Em that's quite a check list of celebs you got there. Well this week I saw Victoria Beckham, Jennifer Lopez, Prince's William and Harry and their girlfriends ..... alright I was reading OK magazine, but I still saw them.