Monday, September 15, 2008

Can't Commit

I volunteered on Saturday with a group from my church at the Habitat for Humanity work site in Brooklyn. It's Habitat's largest housing project yet, a multi-unit structure that will house 41 families. We mounted sheets of concrete around the tubs to prevent mildew.

Yesterday, several people joined the church after completing the four week New Members class. A couple of people teased me that I haven't joined yet. The Methodist church asks you to commit to giving "your prayers, your presence, your gifts and your service." I'm already doing all that, but still I feel very hesitant about making the official commitment of joining.

Am I afraid of commitment? Possibly.

Logically, it doesn't make sense. After all, there's nothing truly required to be a member, and I'm already active in the choir, tithing, and volunteer activities. I'm not sure what's holding me back. Maybe I like not being "tied down," even to a church.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Child you need to talk to someone to help fix whatever is broken inside of you.

Anonymous said...

I think what you are doing is just fine. You are likely giving more of your prayers, gifts, and talents than many 'committed' members of the church are offering. You can become 'official' when it feels right to you.

Anonymous said...

Actions speak louder than words. You owe no explanations to anyone.

Anonymous said...

....Three lovely,caring posts there,Em. A.Norma.xx