Monday, April 16, 2007

A Great Pair

Last Friday (Friday the 13th) was a crazy weather day in Dallas. We had heavy rain, hail, strong winds and a tornado warning. I drove home in pea-sized hail, but more concerning was the fire truck parked outside my house when I arrived.

It turned out to be minor: a tree branch in the yard behind mine had touched the power line and was sparking. The rain put it out naturally, but as we were all looking up, I saw in my peripheral vision a large bird flying across my yard. I tried to see where it went but couldn't make it out.

I put in my garden this weekend (finally!) and spent many hours outside. I again saw and heard the large bird perched in my pecan tree. It's HUGE! And then I noticed there are two of them! They made a strange noise, something like a frog croak and a bark. They are about two feet tall with long necks and long beaks, and they are nesting high up in the tree branches.

I looked them up this morning: they are Great Blue Herons.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

gosh! they are huge,Em....

Unknown said...

That is SO cool.

get2eric said...

Where do they find food?

Vetmommy said...

Try to get us a pic of your birds.

Emily said...

I'm trying to get a good pic. On Monday, there were three, and today there were four.

I think they must be fishing over in Bachwood Lake near Love Field.

get2eric said...

Yeah, they must go to Bachman, or you may have lots of voles in the area?