Sunday, November 19, 2006

Getting Ready

This Thursday is Thanksgiving, and instead of the usual big family get-together, Steve and I will be hosting his two kids, Hayden, age 13 and Declan, age 11. I'm excited and nervous and anxious. But I will miss all my family, getting together at Jennifer's house.

It's a little strange to only have four people for Thanksgiving. (that's four including me!) I don't even need my extra leaf in the table! But Steve and I both agreed that it's best to have a small gathering for me to get to know the kids better. We also thought it might be a little overwhelming to introduce them to all my family just yet!

To make it a little easier for them, I asked Steve what they traditionally have in the menu. I'm making apple and pumpkin pies for dessert (I will miss your pecan pie, Daddy!). And for an appetizer, we're having shrimp cocktail, which became a family tradition for them when they lived in Germany and couldn't get a turkey.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well,Emily, this will be good practice for you as the 'mummy' at the table part! Have a lovely time all of you. xx

Anonymous said...

I like the shrimp cocktail idea......
Have fun and we will eat pilettes and think of you on Thursday,

Unknown said...

Apple pie sounds like a nice deviation. I'm also salivating at the thought of cocktail sauce and lemons...yum. We'll miss you too.

Anonymous said...

You'll be great Emily! A small Thanksgiving may be just what you need!


XOXOXOXO!

Vetmommy said...

I can sense your ambivalence, and I feel it, too! I am so glad you guys will have this time with the kids, but I really wish you could be here, too. We'll be thinking of you frequently and often.

paula said...

Oh Em, am sure you will have a lovely time ....as aunty Norma says it will put you in good practice for playing "mummy". Just make sure you get a help with the wash up afterwards then put your feet up and relax.

Unknown said...

Hey we missed you and I tried to call from Jenns (both your cell and home) but didn't reach you. Really missing you now and no blog news...I'll keep an eye out for new posts...