Monday, November 13, 2006

The Dog with Three Families

A week and a half ago, my uncle Tom came to visit to pick up a piece of furniture I had been keeping for him. Tom used to live in the Dallas area, and he lovingly opened his home to me after my first divorce. We were roommates for awhile, until he decided to move to the Austin area to be closer to his daughter. Since he was significantly downsizing his living area, he asked me to keep his dog Scout, an energetic shepherd-greyhound mix. Scout had a heart of gold and had a way of wrapping you around her toe.

When I remarried, my new home came with two large dogs that made Scout very nervous. I was concerned for her, and my best friend Janet offered to take her into her home. It was a great situation for Scout, since Janet and her family had a huge common ground area for Scout to run around and tree the squirrels, and someone was always home to share her company.

Scout has been slowing down fairly significantly lately, showing signs of arthritis in her stiff joints and the advancing stages of dementia. I told Tom he needed to come visit to say goodbye.

Tom was here on a Tuesday. We had a lovely visit with Scout, including all three of us: Tom, Janet and myself. Then we had dinner and toasted what a beautiful spirit she is.

Last Friday, Janet had to make the excruciating decision to put her down. Scout had gotten so restless and animated, she didn't sleep for three days and then collapsed. Unfortunately, the procedure didn't go as smoothly as hoped, but we know now Scout is in a better place, hopefully full of squirrels to chase. She will be missed by all who knew and loved her.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scout was a good dog. Very good natured and was lucky to have good homes 3 times.........
God Bless Scout.

Vetmommy said...

Oh, I am so sad about Scout. She was a good soul. Janet did the right thing, letting her go. Scooter will live on in our memories.

Unknown said...

Aw, I'm sorry to hear she had a tough time. Sounds like Janet was as faithful and true to her in the end as she had been to everyone who loved her. Goodbye, Scout.