Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Turkey and More Turkey

I guess some people like turkey more than I do. I don't dislike it, but I don't crave it either. It always mystifies me why my company has a turkey feast for us (with everyone bringing the side dishes) two days before we are all to eat pretty much the same thing with our families. Can't we do something a little different? Every year (this is my sixth Thanksgiving here), I suggest we do an Italian day, or a Mexican day, but no...it's turkey again.

My family is arriving in Dallas tomorrow. Stephanie, Al and the twins are coming from Houston, and my parents are driving in from El Paso. My friend Daniel will also be joining us. Since he's from Mexico, this is his first American Thanksgiving, and he's so very excited.

My only regret is that Steve won't be there. His plans changed, and he is now going out to New Mexico to see his kids instead of them coming here.

But it's the holiday to be thankful, and I have many things and people to be thankful for. My favorite part of Thanksgiving is being with family, although the dressing is a close second.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Do you guys have turkey for Christmas too?

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the Turkey thing Emily, I really can't stand the stuff especially since I never got over my poultry aversion thing since I was pregnant (oh, I am sooo strange!). I'm sorry that Steve won't be able to come over, but at least you will have the family and I'm sure you will have a great time. XX

Emily said...

Hannah,
For Christmas, we do an English dinner of roast leg of lamb! Delicious.

Unknown said...

Ah! Was going to say.. You must be absolutely sick of the stuff by the time the new year comes round if you do it for Xmas as well!

Have a good Thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

I think BY FAR Thanksgiving is my favorite gathering all year. Yeah, Christmas is neat with all the new and intriguing presents strew about...but Thanksgiving is all about visiting and eating scrumptious food!

My mouth is already watering thinking about all the yummy morsels I'll consume on Thursday! OH! How could I forget - I love watching the Dallas Cowboys play on Turkey day!...I think I'm the only 16yr old girl who LOVES football(wierd,I know)!

Just nothing compares to STUFFING your belly full of turkey and all the fixing's(such a Texas word)...then "splaying" out on the couch and doing nothing but watching Thanksgiving football.....

Call me wierd, but I love it! =)

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!

Love-Bevie-

Anonymous said...

oooppppsssss "n" after strew....

STREWN!!!!!!!!!!!!! *blah*

Bevie

Anonymous said...

Awww,Emily..now you do make me envious ...all your Family gathering together..just how it should be..(how it used to be for us too) have a lovely ,lovely time all of you xxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear a kindred spirit on the turkey... I'm all about the mac n cheese myself. :)

Unknown said...

Oh, Paula, I totally gagged every time they opened the 'frige that contained the turkey when I was pregnant during Thanksgiving. It was all I could do to sit at the table while others were eating it. I got over it, though. I eat the turkey on Thanksgiving day, but I don't get too excited about it.

Emily did a great job hosting a lovely feast this year. My kids had the best time dancing in her front room while Grandad played the guitar and we all sang with our bellies full of food. It was just wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a lovely time Steph, I've worked out that it's the thought of eating anything with a beak and feathers - urggghh , just typing it makes me get all shivery!!!