Friday, November 18, 2005

As Soft As...

Yesterday, as I was recounting my trip to one of my colleagues, she asked if I was going to move to England. I told her that my Auntie Norma whispered in my ear as I was hugging her goodbye, "Move here!" It was so sweet, but I have built such a great life for myself here, and I can't imagine leaving it all right now.

Besides, I don't know how successful I would be in the marketing/advertising business in England. As most Americans know, the Brits have a slightly different sense of humor than we do. I also noticed their advertising campaigns refer to things that don't exactly translate to me.

As my dad and I were driving to London from Chester, we passed a big truck (lorrie) covered in advertisements for the toilet paper it was transporting. It said "Like a Roll of Puppies" and featured several golden retriever puppies. I laughed until I almost cried.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

You should - the UK's fab! :D Although I am slightly biased... Was even the Andrex puppy not enough to tempt you?!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with Hannah, we love the Andrex puppy and I even saved pack tokens to send off for a couple of the soft toy ones for Lukey. And yes, the toilet paper is as soft and lovely as wiping your bum on a labrador puppy???!!!

Anonymous said...

You got it in one,Paula! haha you see,Emily, we like to be 'original' us Brits..:o)We use Charmin' and their logo is a big soft Teddy Bear..lovely as Paula says wiping on a cuddly Bear hahahahaaha ooo aren't we coarse..am out of Hospital and feel GREAT!!!! :o) xx

Unknown said...

Not exactly something I would think they would want us to have in mind when we are looking for the best bum wiping material. Puppies have sharp little dagger teeth!!!

We saw a Petsmart truck the other day and Paige commented that the puppies on the side were "So cute and cudd-ulll-eee" I took that for brilliance, until she said the same thing about the miniature shopping carts at the hardware store. Guess her version of cuddly is different than mine.

This post is hillarious, but one of the best parts is knowing Aunty Norma is aok!!!!!

ps With all the wiping of bums I do, I could use a roll of puppies.

Anonymous said...

Thank you,Steph. I think we have started something here,ladies..maybe the slogan will catch on,huh? "Wipe on a roll of Puppies or Bears, take your pick" hahaha...oooo am on a 'roll' here :o).xx

Anonymous said...

And do you know Steph, you can actually purchase the andrex toilet paper now with puppies embossed on the actual roll as well as on the packaging ("puppies on a roll") mind you, you do pay extra for the priviledge. Gosh I do talk crap!! Hee Hee

Anonymous said...

That's really funny,Emily! What is it with using animals to advertise toilet paper?..? A puppy is a new twist I wouldn't have come up with!

I think its rather hilarious, myself! =)

Love-Bevie-