Monday, January 10, 2011

The Rest of Paris

Belated, I know, but here's a quick summary of the rest of my amazing trip to Paris.

Irish Parisienne and the French Guy both had to work come Monday, so I was free to do my own thing. I started most days with a walk down to the bakery to grab a croissant and a coffee. My bits of the French language improved each day, but I was still limited to "This please" and "Merci!" However, seeing as I didn't go hungry, I guess I did fine.

I decided to do some shopping on Monday, and IP met me later that afternoon for a movie. I find the Metro system easy to navigate in Paris (probably learned behavior from my years in NYC), and I'm good with maps. IP told me to meet her outside Saint Eustache Church, by the statue of the head in a hand. Her description was perfect, and as I sat near the statue waiting for her, a bum came up and asked me something in French. I politely explained I didn't understand (one of my key learned phrases), to which he angrily asked something like "you don't speak French?" in French. I said No, and he threw his hands out to the sides and asked, "Cigarette?" As a devout non-smoker, I had to again say No, and he walked off in a huff. I was so tickled by the interchange, and had to suppress more giggles later when he walked by and looked at me withcontempt again later.

After our movie, IP went home to do some more work, and I met French Guy for dinner. It was lovely. We ate at a typical brasserie, and I had a delicious roast chicken with mashed potatoes and French wine. Afterwards, we went by the Eiffel Tower so I could get an obligatory picture.

Tuesday was my last day, and I went to the Musee d'Orsay. Monet is my favorite, and I had been told they had the most of his pieces. I decided to save his work for the end, and I really enjoyed the sculptures. When I got to the Monet section, I was horrified to find a paltry four or five pieces with a sign saying the majority had been leant to the Musee National Grand Palais. I looked it up and took the subway over there, just to learn they were closing the exhibit at 2:00, precisely the time I had arrived. I was very disappointed.

Later, I met up with IP again and did a little more shopping (where we both bought the same dress, even in the same size!), and we stopped for a Kir Royale. We had a lovely dinner together. It's so easy spending time with her. She is definitely a soul-mate kind of friend.

French Guy offered to take me to the airport the next morning, which was sweet and very helpful. We arrived extra early to accommodate for any morning traffic, and after checking me in, we grabbed a coffee and croissant. Then the police started moving everyone back away from the eating area. At first, it just seemed annoying. We could hear announcements that a woman had left a bag unattended. They continued to move us back across the terminal, and we heard a loud BOOM that made me scream (and French Guy jumped), which was probably the police and security blowing up the bag. I was also getting nervous as the clocked ticked by because I still had to get through security. French Guy was sweet and gave me lots of kisses and hugs, saying this was his "best New Year's ever. And January 1, and January 3..." I didn't want to leave.

Since being home, I have emailed with him and asked if I could see him again. While some of my friends expressed some dislike when learning he's Jewish, it didn't bother me, but ironically, my not being Jewish is why he won't consider me as anything more. Rejection is never easy, but I wasn't that invested. And we'll always have Paris...


9 comments:

Unknown said...

But you ARE Jewish, just with some added theology..and I love this post.

Emily said...

Aw, thanks, Steph!
I should have told him I was born at Long Island Jewish Hospital...

Anonymous said...

Well as you state,Emily Jane, you're not that bothered :) Sounds like a lovely break for you.


Aunty Norma.xx

jman said...

It's a shame you didn't get to hear the organ at that church - a very gothic experience especially if you are sitting in the dark aside from candlelight! All that is missing was the Phantom.

I stayed about 1/2 block from the church. Did you get to visit all the market shops on rue Montorgeuil right next to it?

jman said...

PS One other thing about Monet - it was next to impossible to get a ticket for the exhibit. There were a lot more than 5 Monets still at Musee D'Orsay just scattered around because the 5th floor galleries were being renovated. If you do get to Paris again and want to see Monet go to the Musee Monet (aka Musee Marmitton (sp?)) where his son donated his collection and which houses (I believe) the largest collection of Monets and which wouldn't share with the Grand Palais exhibit.

Emily said...

A. Norma: It was a lovely holiday. I wished it could last longer.

jman: I got to some of the shops, but as usual, there was too much to do and too little time. I will check out Musee Monet next time. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I too like ,Monet,Em,but my very favourite is Lowry..simplistic like moi :)


A.Norma.

Anonymous said...

I agree with EdameMommy! You look very happy and content in all your pictures. Viva la France!
Love, M

Anonymous said...

"We'll always have Paris" - I needed to hear that. I ended a relationship with a French guy a while back and sometimes you need to be reminded that memories can be all you need. So you just helped me to realize that although that relationship didn't work out, I'll always have wonderful memories of Paris. I hope you ate some crepes!