Monday, April 12, 2010

Gimme a Break

Apparently, I've been overdoing it. Too much exercise (triathlon training), too strict on caloric intake, and too much work. My body is in stress overload, causing bouts of racing heartbeats, holding on to weight, and back muscle spasms. I know, it sounds so enticing you wish it was you, right?

I'm hard on myself. Maybe too hard. I push myself to do more, more, more, and I'm angry when my body doesn't respond the way I want it to. But it has been recommended to me that I try more relaxation techniques and cut back on the training. It's easier said than done. I feel guilty if I'm not doing something (running, biking or swimming) every day. The tri is less than two months away. This will be my fourth triathlon, and last year, I had my personal best time. I want to beat it, but if I can't do that, I want to at least match it. So this past weekend, I only did swimming. But I think I still did too much because my shoulders haven't stopped contracting, despite heat, stretching and massage.

It's difficult to turn off my perfectionist tendencies. I not only want to do it all, I want to do it WELL. My mind has been racing lately with everything I need to do, to the point where I get almost paralyzed, completely overwhelmed. I usually make lists and check things off one by one. But I also still need to work on saying "No." I'm not very good at that.

I'm really looking forward to my vacation. I'm travelling with my fellow singleton, Never Married (NM) to Paris, Amsterdam and London. I'm hoping to connect with other singleton bloggers in Paris and London and will be trying not to think of anyone in particular in Amsterdam. But mostly, it will be blissful to be away from my major stressors here and enjoying the beautiful spring in Europe. It can't come soon enough.

5 comments:

Vetmommy said...

Don't stress too much over the Tri. Your muscles will remember. Just finishing is such an accomplishment!

Unknown said...

I always undersell the vacations lest I set my expectations too high. I guess it is the perfectionist's insurance policy to think like this. Oh well, takes one to know one. "Perfectly" back away from your overdoing it already! ;)

jman said...

Forget about the time and just enjoy the experience (if enjoy and triathlon are words which should ever be in the same sentence) and take pride in the knowledge you had the discipline to train and finished.

Anonymous said...

!!Here,Here! and so say all of us BOOM BOOM! :)


Aunty Norma.xx

Emily said...

Vetmommy: I hope my muscles will remember!

EdamameMommy: Good point!

jman: Thanks. I do enjoy finishing, although immediately afterwards I feel pretty wrung out. But I enjoy knowing I can do it all year long.

Aunty Norma: Thanks for putting the final thoughts on this!