Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Empty Calories

This time of year is overladen with diet temptations. Although I am much more a fan of savory foods than sweets, I do have a weakness for chocolate... and creme brulee, and pecan pie, and maybe a few others...but I'm honestly terrified of putting the pounds back on. I've already gained a few, and I'm anxious to get them off. Why is it SO much easier to gain than to lose???

Of course, it all comes down to calories in and calories out. I'm gearing up (mentally and in my workouts) for next year's triathlon, so that helps keep me motivated. But don't you hate it when you decide to splurge and eat that dessert because it just looks so unbelievably scrumptious, and when you put it in your mouth, you realize the taste doesn't compare with the beauty? It's such a disappointment. Empty calories without the enjoyment.

Sometimes dating is like that, too. They look great on the outside, but they turn out to be bland as cardboard on the inside. Or freaky. Or just emotionally retarded.

Take last weekend, for example. Technically, not a date, but it still proves the point. I went out for the evening with my girl friend Never Married, and we had a great dinner of tapas and sangria at the bar at Sala. (Absolutely our favorite thing is the datilles, roasted dates with almonds wrapped in bacon...YUM! And who needs desserts when you're eating bacon? But I digress.)

As we were finishing up, the bartender kept making our pitcher of sangria magically extend with additional happy juice to keep us around. We began talking to a couple guys seated near us. One is a physician from Florida, who was visiting his friend for his birthday. Both seemed normal, and fairly interesting. They asked where we were going next, so we told them and they decided to accompany us to the club. Florida Doctor bought us a drink there, and I ended up talking to Birthday Boy while NM chatted up the doctor. Everything was going normally. I can't remember any specifics of the conversation, but we were covering the basics, getting to know each other. And then he went and got all freaky. Asked me if I ever thought about kissing NM. Uh, no! So he asked me if I would. NO! Soon after that, NM and I decided to leave, and Birthday Boy asks for my phone number. I told him no, and when he asked why, I told him his request pretty much decided that. He proceeded to spew forth a verbal vomit of ugliness and vulgarity. Very strange!

7 comments:

grandad says said...

Good post. Especially the diet part. I agree. I had a beer tonight, first since October. But it will add two pounds manana just you weight and see!

jman said...

If only we were built with a little exit hatch where we could savor the food but have it exit before swallowing.

First red flag about birthday boy? GU. One wonders where some people's moral compass went. One day you will have the pleasure of meeting a sane, single, shouldering only carryon baggage and not enough to stock a luggage store, New York City resident male. Who of course wakes up each day and thanks his creator for favoring him with your presence and shows his gratitude by pampering and cherishing you, puts Milton Berle to shame and whom for you the feeling is mutual (aside from the Milton Berle bit that is). Is that too much to ask?

Anonymous said...

..A good post,Jman ! you put it so eloquently. :) doesn't he Emily? :)



Aunty Norma.x

Anonymous said...

It's ok if you've thought about kissing NM.

Emily said...

grandad: Thanks for the compliment. Sometimes, you just gotta have a beer!

jman: Yes, exactly! Is that too much to ask???

Aunty Norma: Yes, very well put indeed.

Anonymous: Not really my cup of tea.

Charlise said...

This is very interesting and is an eyeopener to those who care little about their diet.
Thank you.

Unknown said...

More empathy on being single from metro Detroit. I read this today with anxious anticipation : http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/personal/12/11/tf.where.good.guys/index.html

Alas, aside from caution in the work environment, I became willing to cross this line a decade ago. Too bad that mostly seems to open the FWB door for the men, and keep the, let's try a commitment, door from cracking. At least that is how I've experienced it.

No one tells you when you are still in the game (i.e. young and constantly meeting single people), that the game is a lot like musical chairs!

My recent tarot card reading "psychic" told me it won't be like this forever, though. :)