Sunday, December 20, 2009

Walking in a Winter Wonderland

It snowed! When I heard it was coming, I was so excited. Of course, most NYers groan and don't look forward to 8-12 inches of snow, but it's still has novelty for this Texan-NYer.

My friend NM asked me if I wanted to meet for dinner last night, even though the snow had already started. Of course, I said yes. If you have the right "equipment," including snow boots, gloves, scarf and puffy coat, and the subways are still running (which they were), it's not so bad. We met on the Upper East Side at a great Chinese restaurant and watched as the storm increased outside. At some points, the wind was blowing the snow sideways, and at times it would go one direction and then change to the opposite. You could see sheets of snow coming down.

After dinner, we walked arm in arm to the subway stop. We agreed that it's beautiful at first, when it's still all white, not sludgy gray from the cars or yellow from the dogs' urine (hopefully it's dogs'). NM commented how she loves to set the first footprints in new snow (me too), and I love the squeaky feel of it under my boots. The only part showing is my face, and I bury my chin and mouth in my scarf, so it's not too bad.

Then I got back downtown, and there are fewer buildings here to block the wind. Wow, it was a powerful wind! Only the last block or so was really difficult. But before I hit the wall of snowy wind, I was giggling and taking pictures in City Hall Park. Most came out so snowy, you can't tell what I was aiming at, such as a lamppost or a beautiful evergreen. And I took a self-portrait so you can see just how much of me is bundled up.

This morning, I headed off to church. The crews have already cleared many sidewalks and streets, and there are piles of snow along the curbs. But it's still beautiful to me. I wish I had someone to have a snowball fight with!




4 comments:

Lee Warren said...

Beautiful post.

Reminds me of a time long ago when my sister and I were young. After a blizzard, I went out into the snow and took a stick to draw HUGE footprints. Then I ran inside yelling, "Bigfoot was here! Come and check it out."

My sister wandered outside, she was probably five years old, and when she saw the footprints she ran back inside screaming.

I got into a little trouble, but it was worth it. :)

You gotta love a good snow storm.

grandad says said...

Terrif! I remember how I didn't like it. Trudging from the subway to work with the cutting wind and snow all around.
Glad you enjoy it though.

Unknown said...

I think you should make that your new profile piccy!

Anonymous said...

Super Post,Emily, lovely picture of you, you really are a good looking ,young Niece whom I love very much. :) We have snow here in England now and the temperature is MINUS 5/6 sheesh,Em. it's COLD!! Never mind 'twill soon be Christmas and thank-you for the lovely 'typical' New Yorker Chrissy. card. XXXX

Aunty Norma.x