Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Perfect '10?

The '00's had their ups and downs, but now we're at the dawn of a new decade and I'm looking forward to what 2010 will bring.

When I look back over the last year, I realize I dated a lot but I also had a lot of break-ups. But none of them hit me as hard as the back-to-back deaths of two dear friends in November. After the initial grief, I find I'm in a very happy space, taking life as it comes and focusing on the little things that bring me joy. Yes, I wish I had someone special to share my life with, but instead of focusing on the lack of someone, I have been finding so much to love in all I do have. I live in a fantastic city, I have a good job, I've got a great new friend in NM, and I have a wonderful loving family. Oh, and I'm 3 sizes smaller than I was at this time last year! (Yipee!)

For New Year's, I'm heading to Amsterdam. GED lives there now and invited me to spend a few days. We've been speaking for the past couple months, and he gave me one of the most heartfelt apologies I've ever heard. We've been friends -- and sometimes more -- for 11 years now, and that's not something I can easily or want to throw away. And I hate being alone at New Year's. So, although I'm excited to be going, I'm also not putting any expectations on what this means or what happens next.

Happy New Year to you all! May 2010 bring many more exciting experiences to blog about!

4 comments:

jman said...

I hope you have a lovely time but that your New Year's resolution is to confine your focus on men to those who live within a 10 mile radius of your apartment. While absence may make the heart grow fonder it also is a one way ticket to nowhere. Life is where the movies end and reality announces itself. This ends the lecture/platitude portion of the comment.


May December 31, 2010 find you with your ship having arrived and your hope chest filled with contentment.

Anonymous said...

I agree jman and if I weren't married, I think I'd be in love with you. ;)

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, you would have to get in line,Anonymous..:)

'Happy New Year',Emily,and I hope with all my Heart that 2010 is YOUR year..

Martine and Ryan are planning a trip to N.Y. this year as Ryan will be 18 and it's a presy from Martine to her Brother...just for a few days..maybe they will bump into you? :) xx

Aunty Norma.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm,your trip to Amsterdam looks great,Emily..it's wonderful to be able to travel all over the World like you are able to do! Seems Martine and Ryan are now thinking of different Cities for their trip in June instead of N.York..or maybe as well as hahaa I might pack myself in one of their suitcases 'cos I'm only little. :)


Aunty Norma.x