Thursday, February 21, 2008

Men & Women


I'm in St. Louis for the majority of this week, meeting with colleagues from all over the globe and attending training sessions. I love meeting the colleagues; the all-day training sessions are a bit draining.

When I went from my previous employer -- a privately owned, relatively small company -- to my current employer -- a part of a publicly traded company with offices around the globe, several of my friends and family members remarked that maybe I would meet some interesting guys through my work.

I have learned that while this field attracts great communicators, the majority of the men in my company are married or gay. Plus, the men are WAY outnumbered by the women.

I work with a number of bright, successful, attractive, single women. It's interesting to note when we have a company function and there is one single male, all the single women flock to him. The guy must love it. It seems a bit pathetic in reflection, but I'm not so sure it's all about just looking for a mate. I think it's also about the balance. I appreciate the balance of men and women in conversation and in work. I think people from all backgrounds bring interesting points to the table, and I missed the influence of testosterone when I worked at an almost-all-female office early on in my career.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Most of my working life has been spent in offices with a disproportionate number of women. In fact, in my last job, there were NO men whatsoever and in the one before that, the handful of men were either gay or could very well be gay. So I can relate to your observations.

Btw, I enjoy your blog and I've added you to my blogroll.

get2eric said...

Interesting observations. The single women shouldn't be such silly flockers.

paula said...

I've worked with men and women in various office situations over the years,if I had to choose I much prefer working with men as I really can't be doing with bitchy women, if you get a nice group it can be such good fun but bloody hell if you get a strange one it can be a nightmare.

Vetmommy said...

A week with no updates! (sob)

get2eric said...

Musta bin a slo weak. glewd