Monday, February 18, 2008

Girls Night


I had drinks with my girlfriends Kelly and Christine on Friday. We met downtown, near my apartment and close to Christine's office. Kelly's husband Sammy is working construction on a building down there, and she suggested we check in on the guys. (They had gotten off at 3:30 and were a few drinks ahead of us.) As we three girls walked into the all-male-patroned bar, we received shouts, like "Hurrah" and guys instantly vacated bar stools. The reception was a bit overwhelming, and had the other two not been with me, I would have run for the door. But we found Sammy, who in addition to being a sweetheart is built like a football player and very protective of us all. He started introducing us to the guys he works most closely with, saying "This is my wife Kelly, this is my cousin Christine," and then he looked at me and, again wanting everyone to know not to mess with us, said, "and this is my sister Emily." Now, Sammy is of Puerto Rican descent, and I am as pale as pale gets with blonde hair. Needless to say, his comment caused a few to raise their eyebrows.

One very intoxicated fellow offered to buy us girls drinks. Kelly felt bad about this (because there were 3 of us), but the other guys laughed, saying the offer came from someone who is usually very tight and doesn't buy his share of rounds with the guys. I just wondered aloud what he would expect in return for the drinks, but Sammy said I was worried for nothing.

A little while later, our drunk one-time generous friend came back and asked Kelly and Christine, "How about a buy-back?" While they both tried to think of how to respond politely, I really couldn't stand it. "Are you kidding me?" I said. "I can't BELIEVE this. This would never happen in Texas, but maybe that's why they say we have gentlemen in the South." The guy stood his ground, and I asked, "Are you single?"
"Yes," he replied proudly.
I said, "And that's why."

The girls busted out laughing, and needless to say, we got out of there without having to buy him another drink.

The other hilarious thing that happened was when Christine, annoyed with having to answer the same repeated questions from another guy who'd had too many, finally answered his question of "Where do you live?" with "Germany."
"Sprechen Sie Deutsch?" he asked.
"No, and it's been a very tough year."
He persisted, saying "You really don't know ANY German?"
"No," Christine said, "That's why it's been so difficult!"
He deserved it. He was like talking to an elderly relative that asks you the same questions every 15 minutes.

While we didn't meet any eligible or interesting guys, we had a lot of laughs together, so it was a great night.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cheers, to the girls!!!

I think your comments were great -- your Mum! :)

Vetmommy said...

Sounds funny. Those are some sudsy drinks!

paula said...

Sounds like you had a fun packed evening!!

Anonymous said...

The last two posts remind me completely of "Sex in the City" episodes...I'm coming to visit when you start dating Aidan. :)

Anonymous said...

Whooah, that beer looks good.