Thursday, March 30, 2006

Flipping the Switch

Last weekend, as I was cleaning out and organizing my closets, I found a picture that was taken of me about 3 years ago. I was skinny! It really made an impression on me, and I decided right then and there that I have to commit to eating more healthy and smaller portions and get this extra weight off for good.

A friend of mine calls it "flipping the switch." She is battling her own weight issue and has, as many women do, gone up and down the scale. But she told me once you truly decide, it's like flipping a switch inside your head. Basically, you make it a priority, and it therefore outweighs any silly urges.

I was doing really well until this trip. After that nice steak dinner and a dessert, which I rarely if ever allow myself, we ate dinner with our client last night and had rich, creamy pasta at a local Italian restaurant.

I guess my switch got temporarily switched off. I'm resetting it at the breaker now.

7 comments:

Vetmommy said...

Ha ha, great analogy. It is hard, when bad food choices are plentiful and tempting, and its hard to exercise when you work as much as you do. Maybe you need a goal, too, like the Triathlon?

Anonymous said...

You can do it, Em! Who cares if you fummbled a little on your diet- as long as you realize what you did and "reset the breaker".....you can achieve your goal. Jenn's suggestion is a great one!

XOXOXOOXOX!

Anonymous said...

Well,Emily, I was told at Weightwatchers that you are allowed a 'blowout' once a week, after the meetings many went and bought fish and chips!! and the 'naughty food' just seems to disappear ..nobody knew where it went but it didn't go on their weight! seems if you take the food that you are allowed in ONE WEEK it's ok.xx

Anonymous said...

Oh man, don't I know all about flipping that switch! I definitely feel for ya! I think my switch is broken!! :)

Anonymous said...

Go for it Emily, but you are gorgeous anyway XXXX

Anonymous said...

..!!! silly me!! I meant if you eat the food NOT allowed just ONCE a week etc..xx

Ceridwen Devi said...

How about walking from CA to NYC like the FatManWalking? I recommend raw chocolate. Tastes great and has fewer calories.