Saturday, March 25, 2006

Almost a Nice Weekend

Last weekend, Steve and I visited some friends of his in Los Angeles. They actually live in Huntington Beach. After a long flight and a delay with the rental car company, we were VERY hungry. We then got to experience LA traffic firsthand and went an average of 20 miles an hour. Then, unfortunately, the directions the friends gave us had one little mistake...it said to turn left instead of right on the road we exited. Oops...twenty miles later...

Their house was nice, (he's a builder), and has several nice features. However, they also have three very smelly labrador retrievers. I like dogs. I'm slightly allergic to them, but it's not something I mention to dog owners. It just means I have to blow my nose more frequently, and I'm very careful to wash my hands after petting them. These dogs were sweet, if a little hyper. They jumped on us. Every day. So much for the nice clothes we packed.

Their dogs mostly live in the kennel in the backyard, but they let them in every evening. Everything smelled like dog. They are allowed on all the furniture, people and beds. And there was a layer of dog hair and dust on everything.

Our bed was an inflatable mattress with a built-in pump. And a slow leak. Steve woke up at least 6 times to fill it back up. I would hear the hum of the pump and slowly feel the bed rise underneath me.

Saturday morning we had a very nice brunch on the patio. I really liked the landscaping and tile, the koi pond and umbrellas. But I could have done without the strong smell of dog poop while we ate.

Am I getting too picky? I sound like an ungrateful guest. We were both sick of travelling by the time we got there, and I guess I was just yearning for my clean house.

But did I mention the towels had stains...?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

grrrross! Yucky yucky. You might be picky, but I'm thinking that stank. Come to Houston. It is clean here, I promise. Freshy towels and tidy hosts. I keep thinking of booking your make-up weekend, but then you are always travelling elsewhere! Sheeesh!

Anonymous said...

I hate dog smell! Dog people are totally in denial about this; I guess they can't smell it anymore. (Your post touched a nerve because my boss's car REEKS so badly of dog it almost makes me heave.)

Lisa, the cat person

Vetmommy said...

Dogs do not have to be smelly or ill-mannered. But you knew that, and I'm sure that made it more annoying.

Anonymous said...

Oh noooo!!! How awful!!! Mind you, I do have three (yes three!!) cats and I know that they can smell bad too. I must get through about five sacks of kitty litter a week as I am obssessed about the house not smelling of cat wee so I change their toilets every day if I can. But what about that inflatable bed!! Yes, if I were you I would go to Stephs and relax in luxury with clean towels for a few days asap.!!! In fact if you don't I will!!!

Anonymous said...

ermm.. are you having a moan here,Em? :o)you know when people have a dog/pet they have a duty to keep them from stinking it must be awful for the poor creature smelling itself...what's that? they like their own smell? then why are cats and dogs always grooming themselves?..I am now wondering,Em, if it was the dogs that smelled?? :o) am just having a joke here,Sweetie,and that awful bed OOoo yuck..xxx

Unknown said...

This is why I'm a cat person.

Anonymous said...

Oh yucky!!!!! That IS nasty. Okay, the dog smell and hair is OKAY- but the stains on the towels would've erked me too!!!! =)

I hope your having a good recovery time in your CLEAN,CLEAN house!!!

Anonymous said...

These people that you visited are giving responsible dog owners a bad name! I love dogs, but I don't like smelling like one and I especially don't like smelling dog poop while I'm trying to eat! They sound like bad hosts. I would never give my guests stained towels and a leaky air mattress, but that's just me! :)