Monday, March 14, 2011

Duathlon

As a warm-up to my annual triathlon in June, I agreed to join a friend of mine in a duathlon a couple weekends ago: 2K run, 10 mi bike, 2K run. It was her first ever event like this, and days before the event, she called and said she'd learned that participants can do it in a relay with one person doing the running and one doing the biking. I considered her suggestion -- for maybe 30 seconds -- but I had been training for both and really wanted to do both. She found another friend to share the race with, and they got second place in the relay group!

I was pleased to see my running pace has sped up from last year, no doubt due to the extra training and the expert advice I've been getting from my ultra-fit-marathoner-triathlete personal trainer. (I love her, but she kicks my ass...in a good way.) But I was a little frustrated with my overall time and that my bike time wasn't faster. Always room for improvement, and I still have several months until the tri.

3 comments:

jman said...

Glass half empty? This is glass half full. Enjoy the journey and reste tranquille as we verre une demi plein like to say.

Brandon said...

Just stumbled across your blog looking for something interesting to read. I see you've done 2 things I've always wanted to. Visit Paris, and be able to run long distances. So far I have yet to travel outside of the country, and my max distance for running is about 2 miles....so I'm a bit behind in the game.

Emily said...

jman: Thanks for the support.

Brandon: welcome! Although I don't think the duathlon or my sprint-distance triathlons count as long-distance running, I prefer the multi-sport to just running.