Saturday, December 18, 2010

Abandoned, but only temporarily

No, I haven't given up on the blog. I just haven't had time or energy to write. I've been working an insane amount -- work/life balance what? -- and since I don't write about work and haven't been doing much else or had time to do much else...the blog suffered.

Beginning with the second week of November and on through December, I've travelled every week except the week of Thanksgiving and now this coming week, the week of Christmas. While business travel sounds interesting to those who enjoy travel and don't do it for work, it is actually quite draining and you see very little of the places you visit. I generally end up working more hours on the road, since I don't have my recorded shows or family or friends to catch up with in the evenings, and lately, I've had to work until the wee hours just to keep up with the overwhelming workload.

Where've I been? Chicago three or four times, Boston twice, NYC twice (forgive me, jman, I didn't have time to catch a drink), Indianapolis and Houston once each. I've reestablished my priority status on at least one airline carrier, and I've also racked up my loyalty programs with hotels and rental cars. And I'm exhausted.

Meanwhile, as readers of my sister's blog will know, my longtime companion -- my 17-year-old cat Sabrina -- broke her leg Thanksgiving night. I'm still not sure exactly how it happened, but I think she was startled and bumped into her water bowl and then slipped on the tile. The result was a break in her femur, which required surgery. It was extremely stressful for her, and pretty darn stressful for me, too. The worst was having to leave her for two weeks after her surgery. Thank God for my sister Dr. Jenn and her caring staff. We kept her in a kennel at the clinic, even though the clinic doesn't do boarding anymore, and that helped to keep her calm and still and allow the bone to begin to heal. For the last week, she's been recuperating at home with a petsitter visiting daily. And she's starting to use the leg a bit and is happily purring beside me as I write.

So again, I apologize to my loyal readers and thank you for coming back! I do enjoy blogging and enjoy having a life for that matter, doing more than just work. I know we can never go back, but I want to have more balance like I did a few months ago, so I'm taking steps to make that happen.

4 comments:

jman said...

First you and then LeBron and then CLiff Lee preferring somewhere else to NYC! NYC is starting to get a complex. Sorry to read that that it is a work/work balance at the moment although the scold in me is thinking, well if she had let me buy her a drink while in NYC, we could have made a start on restoring that balance. As my good buddy Chairman Mao (M to me) once said, even the longest of journeys begins with the first step.

Hope the next couple of weeks lets you recharge your batteries and if you make it to NYC again, just remember I'm monitoring all the airports, bus and train stations and the bridges and tunnels, so I expect to hear from you. But, hey, no pressure.

Anonymous said...

Oh,my,Emily Jane..that was a long time to wait for your next posting!
You are Missed with a capital M :)
So first of all happy news about Sabrina..and methinks you are working too hard and long,lady! I know you love your work but....
Soon be Christmas and our Steph. will be celebrating it the other side of the Country..I never thought THAT would happen did you? Have a lovely time wherever you spend it (you too jman)

Aunty Norma.xxx

Anonymous said...

So happy to hear that you're ok, although exhausted. Your loyal readers miss you, but I'm sure they understand that you're busy. Hopefully the work/life balance will even out in the new year. And wishes for a fast recovery for sweet Sabrina. Enjoy your family over the holidays!
N.

Doll said...

Welcome back.... :)