Thursday, July 10, 2008

Adding a Little Color

A friend and colleague of mine is getting married on Friday. I've enjoyed co-hosting a shower for her and recently made her veil (I sew a bit, but it's really easy). This last week has been hectic for her, and I've offered to help where possible.

I happened to mention to her that I'm going to Nantucket to visit my sister Steph and her kids on Saturday and that I'm more than a little hesitant to get in a bathing suit in public.

"I'm getting a spray tan on Wednesday night! You should come with me!" she enthusiastically suggested. She'd gotten one once before, in preparation for a trip to Hawaii. She said it made her feel more comfortable about her body, and as everyone knows, if you've got a little extra fat, it looks better tan than blubbery white.

I thought, what the hell. It can't be too terrible (other than the fact you have to stand completely naked in front of a woman you don't know who has a cute little figure while she sprays you for 15 minutes).

While I may not admit to looking "good," (I'm of course my own worst critic), it definitely looks better. It's not cost-prohibitive, and it's not dangerous for your skin like tanning beds. It makes my too-blonde hair (another story) pop more, and does help camouflage the cellulite.

Now, if I could only somehow inconspicuously wear Spanx with my bathing suit...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You made me laugh. Spanx with your suit! Ha ha. Now focus on what's important -- get that tanned booty here!

Anonymous said...

I had a spray tan a while ago too,Em. but I had to stand in front of a machine on my ownsome in a cubicle it just gave me 30 secs to turn round each way..don't you have those in New York?

Aunty Norma.x