Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Living La Vida Loca in Las Vegas

Last week, I took a couple days off from the rat race to join my best friend Janet and her husband Ed in Vegas. Ed actually invited us to join him as he was playing in a golf tournament. Janet & I could do our own thing during the day and get together with him and 40 other guys in the evening. And they promised me that some of them were single...

Ed is a truly nice guy, unlike his juvenile, male chauvinist, foul-mouthed fellow golfers. (Oh, can you tell I wasn't impressed?) Some of these guys were actually peeved with Ed for bringing girls on a "guy's weekend" since they wanted to make sure "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas." (Did you know prostitution is legal in Las Vegas?) Anyway, Janet & I couldn't give a hoot about their shenanigans. We had our own agenda, namely the incredible spa at the MGM!

There also seemed to be some confusion about why Ed brought his wife AND another woman. I tried to helpfully explain, "I've been a part of Janet & Ed's life for 10 years." You should have seen the guy's eyeballs pop as he imagined who-knows what sordid details. Ed just smiled.

Janet and I have been friends for 10 years now, and we have fun no matter what we're doing -- grocery shopping, people watching or just gabbing on the phone. Vegas was just another place to amuse ourselves. We shopped, visited the Lion Habitat at the MGM, and had luxurious spa treatments.

On our last day, there was a 7-member mariachi band in the lobby. They were very talented. They later strolled down to the sole Mexican restaurant where we were eating lunch on the patio. Moved by the music, I showed my appreciation with a traditional "Arrrrrri-ja!" They looked over at our table, and Janet just pointed in my direction. Before we knew it, they had surrounded our table and were asking if we had any requests. We said no, so they played a "happy" song for us and began dancing in circles around our table as they serenaded us! We both were laughing hysterically at their antics and at the attention of a crowd of onlookers. One guy even filmed their song -- Janet and I have been immortalized on someone's home video.

My only complaint about Vegas and the MGM was the overly attentive housekeeping staff. I couldn't seem to sleep between their early morning "Housekeeping" calls and their afternoon nap-interrupting "Room Check" calls. I could hear them coming down the hall -- KNOCK, KNOCK, "Housekeeping!" KNOCK, KNOCK, "Housekeeping!" Ugh...it's 8 a.m.! I've only been asleep for 5-6 hours! (Not enough for me.) Sure makes home seem wonderfully quiet and soothing. Glad to be home after a lot of fun and partying.

1 comment:

Vetmommy said...

Sounds fun! Can't wait for your next post!